Course « Applied science in zoo management »
A great tool for animal management
Course « Animal-welfare science in animal management »
Research, both into the field and in zoos, enhances our knowledge of animals. Make your life easier by integrating applied science into your daily routine.
Objective: The workshop aimed to provide participants knowledge of the latest animal welfare practices and research in zoo animal management, to implement them in the husbandry routine.
In the last decades, a consequent amount of research has been made both in zoos (or captive conditions) and the wild, increasing our knowledge about the biology, physiology and behaviours of many species around the world.
To define best practices for everyone, to ensure animal welfare as well as educational objectives, we must take the time to foster more interdisciplinary links, are and utilize this information.
Content of the workshop:
- What is “zoo research”?
- Why is zoo research important?
- Animal welfare assessment
- Animal welfare as a scientific discipline
- Discuss the latest scientific research and practices in zoo-based animal welfare
- Innovations in animal enrichment
- Innovations in animal training
- Monitoring the latest findings
- Benefits that may provide you in your daily routine
This workshop contains both practical and theory activities; including discussions, group work, individual work, research tasks.